Saturday, April 3, 2010

Meiji Kinoko no Yama Banana Milk きのこの山バナナ・オ・レ




Note to self: Don't order chocolates in the middle of Australia's summer (around 38~42 degrees celcius) or this post will be the result.

Unfortunately this box of Meiji Kinoko no Yama didn't make it all the way here without melting into a puddle. And when I say puddle, I mean puddle.

The little mushrooms all ended up becoming one big yellow blob with pretzel sticks poking out. Okay if you're planning to scoff the whole box down in one sitting, not okay if you're planning on sharing it with someone else.


Nevertheless, the review must go on.

Despite its blobbiness, the smell wafting out of the box is delicious. I am a big fan of banana, and in particular fake banana scent and essence, so I expected to really love this.

The chocolate is surprising as it starts off as a banana milk taste and ends up being quite tangy, almost lemony. I could also taste a fruitiness and when I looked on the ingredients I found apple paste was used.

This is a nice banana flavour, not too over the top, not too fake, and it has quite a few different elements mixed in to keep it interesting. The pretzel stick is plain, but it's a nice contrast to the banana and it's really crunchy so it adds a great texture too.

Just like when I drink a milk drink, this made me thirsty afterwards. So if you're going to eat this make sure you have a drink handy. In all, I would buy this again as I thought it was an interesting take on a classic flavour.


Brand: Meiji
Calories per box: 430
Website: http://kinotake.jp
Buy it now at napaJapan




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha, awww that sucks-having it turned into a puddle. Unlike you, I dislike banana flavored foods. I like the fruit itself, but I don't like things that are banana-flavored. I'm glad you still enjoyed it, even though it melted.

I've been wondering whether to give this snack a try or not(a different flavor of course). Would you recommend the original one? (if you've had it?)

Tasty Japan said...

Yes, I really enjoy this snack, it's one of my favourites. There is another kind called "takenoko no sato" and that has more of a cookie base than a pretzel stick, and covered in chocolate. I like them both, and they both come up with some really good flavours.

I know they both have original chocolate ones which are usually pretty easy to find too.

Anonymous said...

Yup, I've seen them around. I'll try one of them these days(:

Post a Comment