Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Kameda Seika Age Ichiban Senbei 亀田製菓揚げ一番せんべい


I've been looking around for some senbei (rice crackers) in the Japanese supermarkets around me, but mostly the flavours are all the same. Either soy sauce, plain salt, seaweed, or sesame. Absolutely no prawn flavour, or other interesting flavours, only the usual fare.

So when I went into Maruyu yesterday and discovered Age Ichiban I had to buy some! Kameda Seika make my favourite senbei of all time - Kotsubukko. Age Ichiban is very similar to Kotsubukko in that the texture and idea is the same, it's still Age (fried), but they are small round balls of fried soy sauce goodness. Age Ichiban is fried soy sauce goodness in a larger size (6cm diameter) and individually wrapped in the packet.


I paid $3.99 for this pack of 155 grams. There are 25 individually wrapped senbei total. Not bad.

I love these because when you open the wrapping you can smell the soy sauce immediately and it also has a lovely sweet smell that goes along with it, sort of like the sweetness in Teriyaki.

The senbei is quite hard and there is a loud crunch when you bite into it, and I wouldn't recommend these for people with sensitive or weak teeth. But anyway, if you love a good crunch these are great.


The flavour is really present without being overwhelming. Despite being deep fried they are not too oily. It's kind of hard for me to explain the flavour other than that its really soy sauce in the beginning then becomes quite sweet soy sauce at the end.

Just like kotsubukko I can't stop eating these, and one is not enough. I've already eaten four during this review. Stop Kelly stop!!

Thankfully, Yasu doesn't like these so I have the whole pack to myself. Good times. :) I guess you know the answer, YES I would definitely buy this again.

7 comments:

Deb Pun Discoe said...

Aloha! I'm so glad you found your favorite addictive sembei... I missed these so much. Usually buy 'em 3 packs at a time on Oahu or at Mitsuwa, NJ. Tonight, of all places, I found these foil packaged in smaller unwrapped "Joy Pack" at Wal*mart in Hilo, Big Island of Hawaii. Happy, joy.

Kelly said...

Glad to hear from you and know that you love them too!!! Another reason why I should go to Hawaii!! (I keep telling my husband but he never listens..)

Thanks for commenting :)

Anonymous said...

Yes, we love these senbei too. We live in Kailua, Oahu. Where can we get these on Oahu. Last time I found these, they were at the Osaka airport concession.

Kelly said...

Not sure, but the above poster got them on Oahu, so maybe you can go to her blog and ask her where she got them from? Or if she reads this comment she might be able to help you. Good luck, and thanks for commenting :)

Mary said...

We lived in Japan in the early 70's and this is the one thing I still remember and crave. Did not have them for years, found a few mail order places but have recently found a huge oriental market and I get then every chance I get. I just never grow old of this taste!

Mary said...

We lived in Japan in the early 70's and this is the one thing I still remember and crave. Did not have them for years, found a few mail order places but have recently found a huge oriental market and I get then every chance I get. I just never grow old of this taste!

Kelly said...

Thanks for your comment Mary, so glad that you found them!! :)

Post a Comment